Box of Casarecce Pasta
2 tbsp Forte Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Jar Marinara Pasta Sauce with Oregano Flowers
3 Bell Peppers (2 red, 1 green) but use whatever you have
1 medium yellow onion
1 bulb of fennel
1 lb sweet italian sausage (or spicy if you prefer)
3 cloves garlic
1 cup of panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp of Wild Foraged Fennel Pollen
Salt & pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Salt just before adding pasta. Cook pasta according to package.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Slice Peppers, onions and fennel to desired shape, I keep them pretty big because I like the chunks in the sauce and because it prevents the veggies from burning in the oven.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of oil and peppers, onion and fennel, add salt & pepper to taste. Roast in the oven at 400 for 30 min. We are looking for them to become nice & caramelized.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet on medium to medium high. Remove sausage from casings and brown in pan. I like to get small crumbles and get them nice & crispy, about 8 minutes. Once sausage is cooked, add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30s to 1 minute).
- Add the jar of sauce and let it come to a simmer. Add in the peppers, fennel and onion to the sauce.
- While the sauce is simmering, grab a separate small non-stick pan. Heat to medium and coat the bottom with olive oil, generously.
- Add breadcrumbs and wild fennel pollen and pinch of sea salt and toast.
- Once pasta is done add a ladle of water to the sauce.
Scoop everything in a bowl. Top with breadcrumbs, some fennel fronds and a sprinkle of Parmigiano-Reggiano!